Thursday, September 10, 2009

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

With tomorrow's anniversary creeping up I stumbled across this excellent poem believed to be written by Mary Frye that reaches out to the hearts of those who suffered personal losses during the September 11 attacks on the Pentagon, the World Trade Center and our nation as a whole. I wanted to share that here, and let those families know that tomorrow we'll be thinking about them-and that as they grieve, an entire nation will grieve with them.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,

I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

No comments:

Post a Comment