Friday, August 7, 2009

Destress with Simple Meditation

It's Friday! Time to hop out of my thinking chair, take off my thinking hat and head out into the big, wide, wonderful world for a weekend of rest and relaxation. One of the most important things in my regular routine is taking time out from whatever's going to get in touch with myself, and I've found the easiest way to do that is with this simple meditation exercise.

Light a candle, preferably in a holder, and set it down on a linoleum floor. Sit down in front of it. (You can use a rug or a pillow if you like.) Close your eyes and breathe deeply, clearing your mind. Then open your eyes and focus on the flame. Don't think. If your mind starts to wander, let it go. Don't follow it. This is a time of peace, not worry. By focusing on the flame and its nuances you're depriving your other senses and forcing them to take a time out-a very big must for a busy and overtired brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment