Friday, August 21, 2009

Fun, Easy Exercises for You to Do This Weekend

I read a quote this morning from a well respected comedian that said a weekend wasn't worth anything unless you spent at least part of it doing nothing. As you've probably gathered from previous blog posts, I'm a big fan of taking it easy on the weekends! That doesn't mean I spend all of my days sitting around in front of the television though. My weekends are usually packed full of fun, fast physical fitness. Give some of my fun, easy exercise techniques a try and reap the benefits of improved physical fitness that didn't leave you tied for hours to the gym!

1) Mowing the lawn. I didn't realize until I bought my first house just how much of a workout mowing your lawn really was-especially if you happen to own a push mower! Spend this weekend enjoying some landscaping, working up a sweat and making your spouse very, very happy they don't have to do it!



2) Hiking. There's nothing like blending physical fitness with some quality time with Mother Nature! There are hundreds of places across the U.S. with great hiking trails, so take advantage of them and watch your muscle tone build and your waistline slim down while you enjoy a taste of Mother Nature.



3) Swimming. With summer coming to a close, I try to spend as much time in the pool as possible. Aside from the fact that it's fun (especially if you forget swimming laps and take the kids in for a little splash-along!) swimming is a great low-impact workout.



4) Running. Find a flat road and an iPod and you might be surprised to discover exactly how much fun a half an hour or so of pounding the pavement can be! I love to run on the weekends. Not only does it offer me a great workout, it also gives me some peace and quiet before I come home to the Saturday chaos that makes our weekends memorable.



5) Renovations. TV stereotypes aside, it's very rare to find someone working professionally in construction who's out of shape. Why? Because construction is hard work! If you're a dedicated do-it-yourselfer, spend your weekends getting around to all those home improvement projects you've been putting off for years. Your house will be transformed, you'll get back in shape and you'll have a great time doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment